The story behind the story of Stuffed Bird
created 6 December 2008
- At present, I don’t have a photo of myself in the base layer of clothing. It was a black leotard with black tights emblazoned with a fiery design. This is the phoenix outfit.
- In the performance, I tried to start with two contrasting layers, then stripped each layer off while telling stories to passers-by. Then I stuffed the clothing into the figure.
- All of the clothing is mine. I held back on that information during the performance. Would it have made a difference to reveal it? Would it have been better to do so? The question is open.
- None of the clothing except the phoenix outfit and glow-in-the-dark hair was acquired as a costume. It was all worn by me at one time or another.
- I designed and embroidered the jeans when I was 16. Acknowledging the young girl I once was by displaying the jeans is the inspiration for the piece.
- Three stones were lost in the most recent traumatic episode, ergo the shrinking inside the clothes.
- The biography of Rrose is a combination of real biography, exaggerated biography, and made-up biography. I am currently in the process of writing up Bio Factoids, which turns into a poem. This will be posted here soon.