This is sung to a Charleston kind of rhythm. Repeat as needed.
- [refrain] He said, he said that I cannot sing the blues.
- He said, he said I can’t write a jazzy tune.
- But I do choose to sing this jazzy tune for you
- And I will refuse to let that man give me the blues.
- Didn’t want to own him, didn’t want to control him.
- Didn’t even need him. All I wanted to do was please him.
- If you sing the blues, it’ll be good for you
- And if you sing the blues, you won’t have to live the blues
- If you ain’t got money, blues’ll give you room to breathe.
- If you got no honey, blues gonna give you that sweet release.