One of the nice things about Aber is that you can get good fresh local food. Here is a nice way to have a meal, based on Welsh ingredient but perhaps a traditional American vegetarian approach to eating – Mary’s super duper salad (it could have used something more substantial than bread and cheese flan, though, to make it a dinner rather than lunch).
- seasonal mixed greens from the Treehouse
- strips of fresh basil
- red and green bell peppers cut into strips
- lovely brown mushrooms
- vine tomatoes
- cranberry raisin salad from Julian Graves as a topper (dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, cashews, walnuts, almonds, sultanas)
- assorted olives from Ultracomida
- dressing made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grainy French mustard from the French market
- fresh baguette from Slater’s bakery
- goat cheese flan made with French chevre, Birchgrove eggs, and double cream (or, the next day, just put cheese on the bread and don’t bother with the flan)
For dessert, pick some blackberries on Pen Dinas while having a walk in the sunny Sunday afternoon, rinse and serve with Penlanlas strawberries and the rest of the cream.